20 Necessary health check ups For You and Your Family
What is a health check? A health check is essentially a set of tests that are put together to help find out whether you are healthy and on the right track with regard to your health. This is an important step towards preventive care as it will help you take charge of your health even before something major occurs.
There are many advantages of getting regular health checks; it will help in improving the quality of life and also extend your life span. Here is a list of essential health checkups that will help you achieve your health goals:
- Pap test: If you are woman who is planning to have a family, this test should be high on your priority list. You should be taking this test once in two years to help pearly detection of cervical cancer.
- Checking blood pressure: You should go for this test twice a year and the acceptable range is 120 to 139 /80 to89 Hg. In case your blood pressure shows up constantly out of the acceptable range, then you should seek help of a medical health professional. I
- Checking skin: You can do this on a daily basis in the shower to find if you have any rashes, growth or moles that look abnormal. In case there is something out of the ordinary then you need to visit your doctor.
- Checking cholesterol: High cholesterol has become a common health problem due to change in life styles. The main risk from this is problems related to the heart. As a preventive measure from having to spend on heart surgeries, bypass, people who have a sedentary lifestyle should go for this test regularly.
- Dental exam: This should be done at least twice a year. Overall health is affected by poor dental health. Regular examination of the teeth will help check on the health of organs like the lymph nodes and salivary glands.
- Bone mineral test: This one is essential for women as it helps find the risk of having problems related to bones like arthritis and osteoporosis. Bones tend to become thinner with age and with lack of nutritious food and this causes calcium in our bones to decrease.
- Screening for Colorectal cancer: This test will aid in finding any dangerous growth in the rectum or colon. Early detection means a better chance of surviving any problems. You should go for this test once in your forties or if there is a history of cancer in your family.
- Mammogram for Breast cancer: Each woman should check her breasts on a daily basis and meet a doctor if there is any abnormality. Women whose families show a history of breast cancer should go for this test once every 2 years.
- Abdominal aortic aneurysm: If you smoke heavily then it is necessary to get this test done. Smoking causes the abdominal aorta to swell and this can lead to bursting which can be dangerous or even fatal
- Screenings for sexually transmitted infections: In case you an active sex life and are not certain about your partner’s sexual history then you are advised to do this test.
- Testes examination: Men need to examine their testes twice a month. Regular examination can help prevent serious problems that include testicular cancer. In case you find something to be concerned about you need to go to a doctor.
- BMI assessment: A healthy score on BMI means good health. It is essentially the ration of your weight against the height and a healthy range is 20-25.
- Measurement of your waist circumference: This will help keep check on obesity and also indicate the possibility and risk of chronic ailments. Do this twice a year.
- Eye check up: Once a year, everyone should go for an eye checkup. This can help in keeping track of things and help early detection of problems.
- Assessment of Hearing: Any problem with hearing can be irritating for you and others. Nowadays people are using earphones and exposed to loud music and this increases the chances of infections and other problems. Keeping this in mind go for regular ear checkups
- Faecal occult blood test: This test aids in finding if you have any risk of bowel cancer. Start having this test in case your family have a history of cancer or once you are in your 50s.
- Electrocardiogram (ECG): It is painless and very useful in detecting any problems of the heart. Depending on the state of your health you should get it done once in 2-5 years.
- Diabetes test: Depending on your health history, lifestyle and age, you should go for this test around 3 times a year
- Anemia test: If you feel fatigued and breathless, then you should go for this test to check on the level of red cells and iron in your blood.
- Thyroid test: This is the gland that produces hormones that keep your body metabolism regulated.. It could be underactive or overactive causing many problems.