How to talk with Your Doctor: A simple Guide!
We know that the modern world with all its benefits also brings with it some added stress and the threat of poor health. Considering this fact, we need to accept that our doctors, pharmacists and other healthcare professionals are going to be an important part of our lives. They will help us, guide us and take care of us to ensure that we enjoy the benefits of good health. Knowing how to talk with your doctor is vital in all this.
But many a time a visit to the doctor can leave us feeling apprehensive and awkward. We don’t what to say or how to behave or what is expected of us, which in turn means that the visit does not produce the optimum result that it should. Here we will give you a simple but effective guide on how to behave, what to expect and also what is expected of you when you visit your doctor.
How to talk with Your Doctor
- He/she is a doctor not a friend: Though a doctor can be a friendly individual who definitely plays a positive role in the management of your health, he/she is not a personal friend. So you need to be brutally truthful with him/her and not hide stuff like you would when you are dealing with a friend.
- Lay out the facts and not what you think it is: Many a doctor visit does not provide the results it should because many of us try to impress the doctor with our knowledge of medicine. It is a fact that today information on any subject can be gained from the Internet, but that does not make us an expert. While you may let the doctor know that you understand what he/she is saying, do not try to do a diagnosis; that is the doctor’s job. That is what they study for and are trained for.
- Make sure that you do not hide things: Some health conditions and symptoms can be a cause for embarrassment. But hiding things from your doctor can be detrimental to your own health. By omitting some vital knowledge you will be handicapping the doctor in his/her job.
- Remember if they tell you something in the form of criticism it is for your own good: As a doctor it is their duty to be strict when it comes to aspects regarding your health. Like a reprimand for not giving up smoking or not watching your diet is only for your good and not to be taken as criticism. Since these things will affect their ability to deliver the care that you need, they are bound to warn you about such factors.
- Reserve the comparison when you are changing doctors: Different doctors have different styles and this does not mean one is better than the other. So do not compare one with another as this may lead to unnecessary alienation of your current doctor.
- Be clear, firm and polite when some things make you uncomfortable: Certain aspects of examining you and giving you care, may lead to uncomfortable situations. In case you feel really odd, then you should discuss this concern with the doctor while ensuring he/she is not offended. In case of women it could be a internal examination that a male gynecologist needs to carry out. In case you feel uncomfortable, you may request that your partner be present during the process to give you some support.
- Always ensure that you carry all the information and records: When you talk to your doctor, you would be remiss if you are not armed with all the facts and records. So please ensure that you carry all the information that is required from your end.