10 Powerful Home Remedies for Earache
If you have had an earache, you would know it is not something that you can ignore like other aches. It will trouble you till you find a remedy. Most earaches occur due to the buildup of liquid in the middle portion of the ear. Which in turn will cause things like popping sounds, a cold, an infection in the ear, creation of wax in the ear, blocking of the nose passage, some damage to the interior portion of the ear and other things. Earaches are more common in kids than grownups.
Home Remedies for Earache
- Olive oil: This one can offer quick relief from the earache as it act as a lubricant and will help move the infection from the ear. You need to ensure that the olive oil is warm before adding a 3-4 drops into the ear. It is very good in stopping the buzzing noise that sometimes occurs in the ear.
- Onion: It is a good and easy remedy for earaches due to the antibacterial and antiseptic qualities it has. You need to crush an onion and then wrap it in a cloth. Hold the bundle over the ear where the ache is for about ten minutes. Do this many times
- Radish: Another simple remedy from the nature backyard. Cut radish into tiny bits and warm it in mustard oil. Let it cool and then strain into a container. Use a few drops in the ear.
- Peppermint: Both the fresh leaves as well as the oil provides earache relief. You can put in the fresh juice of peppermint leaves using a dropper into ear or apply some peppermint oil around the ear. Try not to get it inside the ear
- Licorice: This is an useful herb for earache relief. Warm the licorice in ghee or clarified butter to form a paste that is thick. Apply on the outer part of the ear till you get relief
- Bishop’s Weed Oil: Mix up 3 portions of sesame oil with 1 portion Bishop’s weed oil and warm this slightly before putting in a few drops into the ear
- Garlic: The antibiotic and analgesic qualities of garlic will help relieve ear pain. Get the juice out of some cloves of garlic and put this into the ear. Or heat a clove of garlic in some sesame oil and put this mix into the ear that is affected
- Ginger: Ginger is known to have anti-inflammatory qualities that help in bringing relief to ear infection as it is also a good and natural painkiller. Take out fresh ginger juice and put a few drops into ear. Or you can mix some tepid sesame oil with extract of ginger and apply this on the outer part of the ear.
- Hot Water Bottle: Doing this will give a lot of relief to the pain. Hold the hot water bottle wrapped in a thick cloth to the aching area for some time
- Hair Dryer: You can try and let the warm air from a hair dryer to remove moisture from the ear, thus relieving the pain. Take care not to use the blow drier for more than five minutes at a time. Be gentle and careful while doing this.
In case you find that even after these home remedies, your earache continues then it is time to seek the services of a doctor, who will investigate the matter further.