15 Powerful Home Remedies For Constipation
Having problems with constipation is not something that is acceptable for social conversations. You can naturally talk about how bad your throat hurts but talking about not having a proper poop for days is not something that you can talk about. But constipation is a problem that is not uncommon or something that you should feel shamefaced about. In fact it can be really worrisome and affect your whole day. But before you rush out to buy laxatives from the pharmacy, do try some of the home remedies that we have listed below:
Powerful Home Remedies For Constipation
- Oil: This can get things going, if you know what we mean. Olive oil works very well by getting your digestive system going and helping things move along in your colon. Not only does it provide a relief but can also cure. All you need to do is have a tablespoon of olive oil early in the morning on an empty stomach. You may add lemon juice to this if you wish.
- Lemon: As good as the aroma of lemon is from the outside, it also helps freshen things within the tummy. It aids in digestion and also helps in the removal of toxins within the stomach. You can dilute the lemon juice in a cup of tepid water and you need to drink the juice of one whole lemon.
- Molasses: Molasses not only makes things that you eat sweet it can also help in alleviating constipation. Blackstrap molasses is the one that you should be going with; it has nutrients and also tastes good. Just mix the blackstrap molasses (1 teaspoon) with warm water and drink slowly to begin with and you can drink as much as two tablespoons once you are used to it.
- Coffee: Coffee smells great and tastes great, but that apart you morning coffee can also stimulate the digestive system and can get things moving. But ensure that you limit the intake to one or two cups or else you may have the opposite effect as it also dehydrates you.
- Become active: To get things moving within, you have to get things moving externally too. Which means you have to be more active physically. One may not find anything specific to link these two but a good exercise plan will help in keep constipation away.
- Natural fiber: You need to increase your intake of natural fiber in the form of vegetables, whole grains and fruits to keep constipation away. All these have to be consumed in natural form or as close to it as possible, Fiber is the sponge like thing that will draw water and get things moving out of the digestive system. But along with fiber do increase the intake of water.
- Flaxseeds: Oil from flaxseeds really works on constipation by coating the walls of the intestine and the waste matter making bowel movement easier and more frequent. You can add this oil to pulpy orange juice and increase its efficacy. Mix a tablespoon of flaxseed oil in juice and drink it up.
- Aloe: Is not only good for cuts and blemishes but also can help clear out the tummy. You need to consume 2 tablespoons of aloe gel or one cup of aloe juice will help reduce constipation.
- Having a routine: One of the ways you can avoid constipation is making and keeping to a particular schedule. This will reduce this problem, but only if you let yourself relax and not stress too much
- Baking soda: This works for some many things and is really versatile. All you need to do is mix teaspoon of baking soda with warm water and consume it at at once for things to be effective.
- Epsom salt: This also works really well by softening the stool by drawing water from other places. To consume this dissolve two teaspoons of Epsom salt in water or juice and drink all of it. You need to reduce the quantity to half a spoon for kids.
- Prunes: This is a known and effective relief from constipation. You can either drink the juice or eat the prunes. This fruit will draw water from the body and soften the stool enabling it to to pass. Drink a glass of prune juice at night and if it works then leave things or else have another glass. Or you can eat a lot of prunes for the same effect.
- Answer the call of nature: Do not try to stall when you feel the need to visit the loo, this really helps in keeping problems of constipation at bay.
- Dandelions: A cup of tea made with dry dandelion leaves in hot water after steeping the leaves for about 10 minutes, three times a day will ease the problem of constipation.
- Bacteria: Consume probiotic yoghurt about three times a day to ease this problem.
- Squat: You can also try to squat to get the flow going and this will help the stool to move and relieve you from constipation.