12 Awesome Facts about Coffee You Should Know
Coffee is the second most widely consumed beverage in the world and yes this is the correct fact. Like this fact still lots of people don’t know lots of awesome facts about coffee and here we are sharing you few facts you should know.
Awesome Facts about Coffee You Should Know
1. Coffee is actually a fruit:
Coffee beans are actually the berry pits. The coffee pits, sometimes called coffee cherry, are a fruit that consists of coffee beans inside them. They are only called ‘beans’ because of its shape.
2. Hawaii is the Only U.S. State That Commercially Grows Coffee:
Coffee tends to grow better at equatorial climates, so you can’t grow coffee in United States. Hawaii mostly has a desired climate for harvesting java beans.
3. It used to be custom in Turkey that if a husband did not provide his wife with coffee, it can be a factor of them being divorced:
This custom isn’t practiced anymore today. Now we live in a world that point to equality where husbands and wives alike should do the right thing and make coffee for their loved ones. Ever made a single cup of coffee for you? Then you’ve probably also suffered the consequences.
4. Despite what most people think, an espresso has 1/3 caffeine of a single cup of coffee due to serving sizes:
Some people actually prefer drinking espresso to drip-coffee or French press for that very reason you can always control your own caffeine consumption.
5. Coffee is a Major Commodity:
Coffee is the #2 most traded commodities on earth, coming only second to oil! On the NYBOT stock exchange coffee futures are one of the most highlighted commodities. Coffee consumption is very important for the developing world, because 90% coffee is consumed in the developed world. Coffee funnels money from richer and developed countries to poor and under-developed countries.
6. The word “coffee” comes from the Arabic “qahhwat al-bun,” meaning “wine of the bean.”
Remember; you’re not desperately trying to get yourself awake for work after a sleepless night, you might want to have a little wine of the coffee bean!
The word ‘espresso’ comes from the Italian term ‘cafe espresso’ which means ‘pressed coffee’. So it means when you order an espresso now a days, you are just asking for a ‘pressed’ one.
7. Coffee May Replace Fossil Fuel:
Best Fact about Coffee is that a Coffee beans supports combustion thus scientists have suggested that coffee could replace fossil fuels and can be one of our main sources of producing energy and motor fuel.
8. Coffee Was Originally is a Food, and Not a Drink:
The first African tribes to consume coffee did not make the drink as we know coffee as it is today. They combined coffee beans with fat to make ‘energy balls’ which were consumed on for a caffeine boost.
9. George Washington Invented Instant Coffee:
It’s probably not the George Washington you are thinking of but a Belgian/American inventor named George Washington invented instant coffee in 1906. It wasn’t until 50+ years later that good instant coffee came into being and became a household staple and this is the biggest fact about coffee.
10. People who drink a moderate amount of coffee are less likely to develop Alzheimer’s or dementia in old age:
This is all according to a 2009 study that validates our favorite chemical habit. A normal amount is about three and five cups per day, so if you don’t have a coffee pot placed in your office, you must get one as soon as possible.
11. Prolific French writer and philosopher Voltaire was said to drink 50 cups of coffee per day:
Francois Marie Arouet AKA Voltaire was certainly an eccentric and energetic figure, as 50 cups are half lethal dose.
12. Legend has it that coffee was discovered by Ethiopian shepherds who discovered their goats dancing around after eating the beans:
Goats in the 9th century have given a blessing thing for new Yorkers to wake up. If you have 5 cups of coffee a day then you should be on the knees and thank the goat gods in discovering coffee.