12 Magical Astaxanthin Health Benefits
What is Astaxanthin and how do you say it? What is it used for? These are some of the FAQs that bombard you when hear this word. Once you are done with this article, you will know a lot about Astaxanthin than when you started.
Let us start with what is Astaxanthin and how to pronounce it: It is an antioxidant that is natural and is part of the carotenoids family that is akin to Beta Carotene that can be found in carrots. You can find Astaxanthin in salmon, lobster, shrimp and crab and is the reason that their color is pink. Astaxanthin also is the reason that flamingos are pink. You will not find Astaxanthin as much in the diets that people have at least not like Vitamins C, D, E and Beta Carotene. But actually the benefits of having Astaxanthin are numerous. It packs a punch that is 54 times that of Beta Carotene, 500 times more than Vitamin E and 65 times more than Vitamin C.
Here some Astaxanthin Health Benefits :
- Brain Health: Astaxanthin can pass through the barrier of blood and brain and aids the brain in making the most of the antioxidant qualities. This in turn helps brain health. Research indicates that Astaxanthin can even help in keeping away dementia and Alzheimer’s making more possibilities possible.
- Heart Health: As one ages the heart gets affected due to hypertension and studies prove that Astaxanthin can lower the blood pressure thereby benefit the heart too.
- Skin Health: We all crave youth and the look it gives to us mainly in terms of the skin that can age fast. Astaxanthin can help in this regard too by keep away UV light and reducing the occurrence of spots, lines and wrinkles and other such things.
- Eye Health: When you were younger, you would often be admonished for not eating your carrots as they will help you see better and you did not believe it. But now you can believe that the carotenoids in Astaxanthin can really help your eyes as they can pass through into the retinal barriers of the eye. It helps in keeping away glaucoma, cataracts, macular degeneration and retinopathy.
- Liver Health: It helps in keeping down the oxidative damage that affects the liver. It defends the liver and makes it function better by eliminating bacteria that is dead, red blood cells that are dead and viruses. Once the liver is cleansed the health will definitely improve.
- Male Fertility: There is some research that suggests that Astaxanthin can help in improving male fertility due to its antioxidant properties though this is not conclusively proven. There are some studies that do point in this direction.
- Diabetes Prevention: The way Astaxanthin affects the blood glucose and insulin sensitivity indicates that could help keep diabetes away. Research is going on in this field.
- Alleviating Joint Pains: You can use Astaxanthin to treat joint pains that come about due to rigorous exercises, tennis elbow, arthritis and carpal tunnel.
- Advantages to people in sports: Astaxanthin can help in building stamina, enhancing immunity, accelerating strength of the body, increasing levels of endurance and in decreasing the soreness of muscles. All these qualities will help people in sports.
- Prevention of Cancer: Some research points in the direction of Astaxanthin having qualities that can fight cancer. Though not conclusive there have been some positive results in this area.
- Enhancing Memory: The way Astaxanthin affects memory is something that can help in dementia and other such conditions.
- Treating Ulcers: Astaxanthin aids in keeping away some type of ulcers. It apparently has a effect of protecting against gastric ulcers that occur due to stress and ingesting NSAIDS. It also keeps down acid reflux.
Well, all these are the up sides but there are some downsides too. The side effects of Astaxanthin are listed below:
- Though harmless it could make your excreta go orange in color which can be quite alarming to look at
- It could be the cause of allergy in case you are really sensitive
- It could bring down the level of blood pressure
- It could be the cause of imbalance in hormones
- It could cause pigmentation in skin to go up
- It could bring down the level of the calcium in the blood
- It could bring down LDL oxidation.
What are precautions to be taken?
- Since it can interfere with medicines used for parathyroid, asthma and high cholesterol one should keep this in mind.
- Women who are on HRT or birth control pills for treating Menopause symptoms should not take Astaxanthin
- Should not be used for too long a time to keep away from the side effects.
- DO consult the doctor before taking it so as to avoid any adverse results