There are some situations when you will come across a person who seems to be in a state of shock. This could be either due to emotional trauma or physical trauma. This can be disconcerting to deal with especially when you do not know what to do. Here are some things that you can do that can help the person suffering from shock.
Emergency Treatment For Shock
- One of the first things you should do is make the person lie down, in case this is possible. Then try and elevate the feet of the person by around 12 inches. Avoid this in case the neck, back or head is hurt or in case you feel they have broken the leg or hip bones. Do not lift the head of the person. In case the person is vomiting or bleeding from the mouth, turn them to one side.
- Start CPR, if required: In case you find that the person is unable to breath or you find that their breathing is perilously weak then you need to start. If you are dealing with a child then you need to do the CPR that is right for children. In case you are dealing with an adult then the adult CPR needs to be administered. Keep tabs on the breathing every 5 minutes or so till help comes.
- Take care of the injuries that you can make out: You can try and stop bleeding or bandage any open wounds in clean and neat manner
- Provide warmth and comfort: You can put the person suffering from shock in a better position. You can also loosen clothing that is tight, cover with blanket, stabilize their movements, calm the person down and ensure that you do not give them food or drink.
- Other care: At the place of healthcare, the person could be given IV fluids or even oxygen. The other care administered will be dependent of the cause of shock.